Tuesday, March 26, 2013

The Pink Power Bow

I can't deny it. 

I have a love affair with bows. I would wear one in my hair everyday if I could. Red, white, blue, pink, black, teal...the list goes on and on; I have a bow that will match any outfit.

Last summer, I was on a pink bow kick. Whether it was a head band, tiny bow holding my bangs back or adding flair to my ponytail, I donned one! 

Being in an internship with mostly males, there was several mentions of my pink bow. It quickly became my trademark. My pink bow was labeled the "pink power bow."

Courtesy of Polyvore
What seemed as silly, innocent banter about a pink bow by my fellow interns ultimately became something more profound. My pink bow made me feel empowered and others began to see this as well. A bow for me is something special. It is a little bit of sass and a little bit of sweet. I feel confident in who I am when I wear one. 

The symbolism behind the pink power bow was more than I knew at the time. Thinking back on that internship, the men I worked with understood that I was a powerful woman who embraced her position and excelled in her work. 

I was proud of what I had accomplished during that internship. I was not looked down upon because I was a woman, but because I embraced my individuality as a woman and consistently put my best effort towards our goals I was recognized as being an asset to the team. 

By embracing my femininity and harnessing my inner prowess, I stood out. My pink bow had made a statement. I made them take note of my presence. I was empowered.

What is your pink power bow?

xoxo-E