Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Pearl: Great Advice


Today my inspiration is drawn from a little piece of advice given to me by a recruitment manager at a major PR firm. Her advice was simple: ask or you will never receive.

I heard this advice and immediately clammed up. I did not want to be seen as too demanding or too forward. I feared I would come off as being too harsh - that was the last thing I wanted. As a person whose biggest fear in life is rejection this idea of simply asking for the things I wanted was hard to swallow - I did not want to hear no, better yet settle because I was told no.

I gave it a try anyways, knowing that I needed to push myself out of my comfort zone.

A few things started to happen when I put this bit of advice into action. First, I began to feel more confident in my ability to ask for what I wanted. It was hard at first, but I found a way to ask that showed my own personality instead of sounding demanding. Second, I have been shown respect time and time again because I came knowing what I wanted and stood up for myself. Finally, I have had so many doors open and connections made because of me simply asking.

The advice is worth repeating: ask or you will never receive. Find a way to incorporate your own voice and start asking for the things you want in life. You owe it to yourself and your future.

xoxo-E